If you’re seeking a new roommate, you know it can be difficult to discover the perfect one. You want someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How can you ensure that you pick the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!
- Define what you’re looking for in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and apply it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Remember to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you uncomfortable), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. While you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s also crucial to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it difficult to track down a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You probably know more people than you realize who might be looking for a roommate. Because of this, a good starting point is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and see if you already know someone who might make a fantastic roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you are hunting for a roommate could end up finding someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone seeking a roommate, that’s fine! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to stay. Furthermore, since your friend or family member also knows you, they might be able to recommend someone you would get along with really well.
- Use social media. To broaden your search, think about using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let everyone notice that you’re finding a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and be cautious about giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re struggling to find a roommate on your own, there are services provided that may help you out. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Multiple services operate in different ways, and there may be fees involved. Don’t forget to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve communicated to a few potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your pick! If you’re trying to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would ideally fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.